Here at LittleOak, we love our goats. After all, they’re part of our family too. We wanted to share a little bit more about where they live, how they live, and what makes them special. Read on to learn more about the good goats—we've even thrown in some fun, fast facts for you and your little one.
We only want milk from happy goats
The health and wellbeing of our goats is so important to us. That's why we have fewer goats per hectare, ensuring that our friends have plenty of room to roam.
Our goats live a happy lifestyle near Palmerston North in New Zealand's North Island —perfect for sociable herd animals that love each other's company. And while we’re always talking about the nutritional benefits of fresh whole goat milk, it's also better for Mother Earth. Because goat milk production is usually smaller scale, it tends to be more environmentally friendly. What's more, according to a 2023 study on goats and their impact on the environment, methane emissions released during production processes are lower than those of other grazing animals (like cows and sheep).
Five fun facts about goats
We think your little one will love these fun facts:
- Think your bub is a burper? Wait till you meet our goats. Mature goats can hold up to five gallons of plant material, which is fermented and turned into cellulose. This process produces a LOT of gas, which means you’ll often hear them burping on the farm.
- A mother goat recognises her kid by sound, not by sight. Each kid has a unique ‘call’ and scent, which is how its mother can distinguish it from others.
- Any dog owners here? The life span of a goat is similar to that of a dog. Keep in mind they shouldn't be kept as pets due to being social herd animals. Goats can actually get depressed without their companions.
- Goats are highly intelligent. They can be taught to recognise their name and come when called (we must say we haven’t quite mastered that one).
- Goats have a gestation period of 5 months. Can you imagine? A five-month pregnancy? Oh, the luxury!
Looking for more fun facts? There’s more where that came from here.
LittleOak has been nourishing children for many years and feeds millions of infants, babies and children across the globe each and every day, in countries such as Australia, New Zealand and Singapore. In the US, we're proud to have our FDA compliant Toddler Drink available for families.